Dough Nutty...

Doughnuts

If you have been following my posts, you will notice that there seems to be a theme. Yes, I am a bit of a pastry addict. 3 of my top 10 are pastry related: Croissants, Chocolate ├ęclairs and today for the peice de la resistance (there seems to be quite a few of these) its doughnuts.

When I was living and working in London, I had many food ephinanies. One of them was Geeta's mango Chutney, the other was America's famous "Krispy Kreme" donuts. OMW. These doughnuts were like soft, and amazing, and covered in a powdery yet slightly lemony icing. They totally changed the concept of doughnuts for me.

As I have somehow sort of appointed myself as royal-work-Birthday-cake-baker, I offered to make my collegue doughnuts for her mini Birthday teaparty on Friday.

Despite the fact that I had last used this recipe when I was 13, they came out well, but having being left overnight, they became decidedly chewy - not the best. So back to the drawing board for me. This revised recipe has melted butter added to the dough. Do not miss this step, it really makes a HUGE difference to the dough (Chinese fighting doughnuts vs light fluffy pillows of pastry).

My La Varenne Cookbook specified that the optimum temperature for cooking doughnuts is 180◦C.

I cooked my first batch at this temperature, and they burned. So sorry Anne. W, but it wasn't the best. The ideal temp for these are 125 to 130◦C, if you drop in 3 to 4 doughnuts per batch, it lowers the temp to 109 to 115◦C and cooks them perfectly, for 2 minutes each side.

OMW. They were scrumptious.
And I ate, like, 4.
Ok fine
I ate 6.

10 things I would gladly eat myself fat on
Number 3: Doughnuts

Doughnuts
Makes 20 medium ring doughnuts

For the dough: 
200 g milk
56 g butter
1 pkt dried instant yeast (9 g)
560 g bread flour
56 g sugar
a pinch of salt
1 medium egg

To fry:
500 to 750ml sunflower oil

To dust:
60g castor sugar
1g ground cinnamin

Alternatively: 70g (optional) Apricot Jam for Jam doughnuts*.

Heat the milk and butter together until the butter melts. Leave to cool to hand hot temperature. When cooler, add the yeast and stir well. Place the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Mix well. Beat an egg into the milk liquid, and add to the flour. Stir to form a dough, and then knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes. Leave to rise for an hour in a warm spot. On a floured surface roll out the dough to 1 cm thick. It should be a rectangle sized 21 cm by 50 cm. Using a 7 cm inch round circle cutter, cut out 20 rounds, 3 down and 7 across.

*Alternatively to make jam doughnuts. Pinch off golf ball size pieces of dough (35 g). Indent a finger in the top, and fill this with Apricot jam. Pinch closed. Leave to rise before frying *

Using a 1 to 2 cm circle cutter, or a sharp knife, cut a circle out of the centre of the doughnut. Leave to rise for 30 mins or until doubled in size. 25 minutes into leaving the doughnuts to rise, heat the oil in a large pot to 130◦C.

Place 3 to 4 doughnuts in the pot, frying for 2 minutes each side. Only fry them once per side. They should be light to medium brown, and spongy to the touch (they bounce back when poked). They will soften once they are removed from the pot. Drain on kitchen towel, and roll in cinnamin sugar.

Sigh. Heavenly.

Hmmm. Idea: doughnut cake for next wedding? At least its original...

2 comments:

  1. Great post... Love home made doughnuts (and I have a Krispy Kreme just 1/4 mile from my house... walking for exercise is always a little heavier coming back

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol :) I am pretty lucky not to have a Krispy Kreme anywhere near me (there are none in the country actually) because that would just be seriously dangerous for me!

    ReplyDelete